Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pemberton 50k Race Report

That's me at mile 25! I was feeling so happy to be out on the trail and to see my friend Joyce who snapped the pic of me!
Distance: 31 miles (Garmin recorded 30.91)
Time: 5:00:36 (15 minutes faster than last year's time of 5:15:30!!!!) My goal time was 5:10. I was thrilled.
Overall placement: 49th out of 149 total finishers.
Female placement: 13th out of 59 total female finishers.
Cumulative elevation gain/(loss): 2,641/(2,638) feet

The course is 2 loops of the Pemberton trail, which is 15.5 miles (approximately). Race is held in McDowell Mountain Park in Fountain Hills, AZ, which is about 2.5 hours Northeast of Tucson.
Shari and I before the start of the race as the sun is beginning to come up:

Lots of TTR folks out - Tonja, Joyce, Paul, Wayne, Patricia, Chase, Audrian, Julie, Chris, Denise, Trish, and me (did I miss anyone?)

I ran into some people who remembered me from the Cave Creek marathon and others who knew me from my blog! I can't tell you how good it makes me feel when people come up and introduce themselves to me. I feel special - thank you!!!
Thanks to Joyce and others who took pics of me running!
After the first 15 miles (both feet off the ground in the first picture!):
After I passed Joyce at mile 25 or so, she snapped this pic:

My feet are off the ground here at this point in the race, too! How cool is that? Joyce asked how I was doing and I said, "Great!! I'm going to beat my goal time!!" I was a happy gal.
Jamil (a super duper fast ultrarunner) was manning the 2nd aid station. It is always good to see him, too - he is so nice. Here I am with him at mile 26:
I know, I probably could have broke 5 hours if I hadn't stopped to take the picture! Oh, well. It's all about the fun. :)

Me coming into the finish!
I got really sunburned at the finish line waiting for friends to come in, but I wouldn't have missed Shari coming across the finish of her first ultra for the world.  Great job, Shari - I'm proud of you!
I'm thankful for all of the wonderful people in my life that support me and help me be a better me. Thank you God for your grace, for strong legs and for the love that is pouring into my life right now.
"Let it go, let it roll right off your shoulder, Don't you know, the hardest part is over, Let it in, let your clarity define you, In the end, we will only just remember how it feels..." ~ Rob Thomas.
Thank you to the beautiful soul who shared this amazing song with me. :)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats! That's a really great time.

Joyce Vyriotes said...

It was great seeing you out there!

HappyTrails said...

Great race! Congratulations! We're jealous that you had glorious blue skies and apparent warm temps. Oh to be able to wear a short sleeve or tank top! Sigh. :-)
Kathleen

Jamie said...

Ah, I commented on an older post. Ooops. I just wanted to say hi to another Tucson runner blogger! :)

RunningTroysLife said...

you seem to keep getting faster and faster!

Rhonda said...

Hi Renee, I just found your blog in looking for info on running the Pemberton Trail with some friends this Sat. Thank you so much for all of your info on the trail and so much more. I am excited to read your blog and get more info on different trails around here. I love to run but have recently discovered the passion of trail running. It sounds like you share the passion (I hope to do as much as you've done someday but I'm starting this much older). Thanks again for all of your info! Rhonda