Sunday, July 11, 2010

Run with the Roosters 5 mile Race

Well, I did it again! I wasn't planning on it, but Dallas gave me a nudge and talked me into it. I have worked about 60 hours this week and the thought of getting up at 3am on my only day off didn't sound great. I couldn't pass up a race with Dallas, though, so I signed up!

I think I'm still asleep right before the race...
Start time was around 5am. This is a 5 mile road race out on Kinney Rd. in the Tucson Mountains. A little hilly.

Last year's finish time: 43:01 (8:36 min/mile pace)
This year's finish time: 40:46 (8:09 min/mile pace) Woohoo!
Am I super focused or what?  :)

This year, I was 2nd in my age group and last year, I was 3rd. A super fast gal from a lower age group got older, so she beat me out. Otherwise, I beat all the times from my age group from last year. I was happy with the improvement! Here I am getting my award from Race Director Steve Landau:
Steve calls me 'Pretty in Pink'!
Dallas came in 1st in his age group with a smoking fast time of 34:16 (6:51 min/mile pace!!!!!) Jeesh!
Steve called Dallas up as, 'Pretty in Pink's boyfriend'!!!!
We don't do much actual speedwork - we just run trails in the mountains!

My friend Steve did an aid station and my friends Shari and Mike did the race. I am so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people! I used to have very few 'real' friends 20 years ago.

It was a great race - perfect aid stations, after-race smoothies, Mexican breakfast, technical race shirts, a rooster trophy and personal interaction with the Race Director, Steve, who is a great guy.

I took a nice long 2 hour nap afterwards...

'So come on baby get those shoes on
And we can run away from here...' 
~ Tonic

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Sounds like fun! I had to back out of this one due to a busy schedule. :( I really really want to do it next year! Great job on beating your past time!!