Friday, August 7, 2009

Finding balance

I look a little less dirty when I go to work. Working too many hours this week. Desperately need to find some balance in my life.
I decided I would take a few days off at the end of this month and do the Silverton Alpine Marathon (S.A.M). I just found out about it and it sounds like an awesome run. The San Juan mountains are just amazing. There is also a 50k option, but I don't think I'll be ready for that, so I'll just stick with the marathon distance (which I should be able to do; they give you 9 hours to finish).
Imogene Pass Race is two weeks later, but I think with some concentrated tapering (and an icy cold dip in the Animas river after the S.A.M.!), I think I can recover in time. I'll be taking off a few days from work then, too.
Then, in October, I'll be taking some time off work to go to Nashville for the Nashville Ultra. I decided on the 60k distance, which is 37.2 miles, and will be the longest I've ever run. My brother, sister, and Mom will be there to cheer me on with their families, so I think I can do it!
I just don't get workaholism. Don't get me wrong; I love accounting. I just don't want to do it 60 hours a week! Takes away too much time from the important things in life: God, family, friends, and of course, trail running.

No comments: