Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mt. Lemmon Marathon Training Run #3

This time, it was just me and Dallas - the dynamic trail running duo.
We started at Molino Basin on Catalina Hwy. (about MP 6). We were once again blessed by cloud cover. Since it was a Thursday (I took the day off) we didn't have as much traffic or bicyclists to contend with. There were a lot of large trucks racing up the mountain doing construction - that was a little unnerving as we headed up the small 'bike lane' shoulder on the road.
Shortly into our run, I put on my iPod and realized that in the 'syching' process the night before, that it had removed all of my songs (dang iTunes!!) Dallas gave me his for the day. Dallas wins the kindness award - what a giving soul!

This marathon is going to be one of the prettier marathons around. Some of the scenery going up this road is just breathtaking.
We ran about 12 miles on the road to the San Pedro pulloff (Green Mt. TH) at MP 18. We made it in 2:39. Dallas had driven his car up the night before (filled with water/food, etc.) and biked home (30 miles?)
So, we had lots of goodies when we arrived at the Green Mt. TH entrance (Nutella wraps - Mmmmmm...yummy!) We took a 20 minute break, ate, and I changed into trail running shoes for our trail return downhill.
Although it is net downhill, the first climb on Green Mountain trail was tough. First time for us on this trail. Awesome views.  



The descent was a little rocky and steep, but overall, a very beautiful trail. It was about 5 miles until we reached Bug Spring trail.

Bug Spring trail has a steep climb, after which it follows a ridge line with some spectacular views and runnable portions. My uphill legs were shot by this point. Too many long runs too close to each other. Felt like I'd never be able to finish!


We got rained on the last hour, which was nice! We saw a desert turtle of some sort, which was neat.Took us 3:09 to return downhill on the trails.

Total time: 6:08 including 'aid station' break.
Distance: 23.5 miles
Approximately 4,000 feet of climbing, I think we were told? My Garmin isn't loading up on my computer currently, so I can't tell for sure.

I was glad to be done with that run, but at least I had a great trail partner!!!!
 
'When all your plans are made out lying on the floor
And all your dreams are turning into nothing more
When all your hope has left you know you're not alone
Just hold on...'
~ Lifehouse

You really never know what is just around the corner in life. Never give up hope.

1 comment:

Kantiki Jayamana Whateva said...

It's funny that you mentioned the turtle. At first I thought it was Phil, but then realized you weren't near Bear Canyon Sabino. Phil is a turtle with a dent in his shel that they are trying to track on the Sabino Canyon Naturalist blog.

Mad props, btw. Canyon running is no joke, let alone marathons. And thanks for defining "Corker". I just stumbled onto your blog and would have had to look up the word just because my curiosity would demand it.

Much love Pink Corker :)