Monday, July 4, 2011

No news is good news and some not so good news...

I haven't posted in a while - there has been a lot going on!

Dallas and I got married on May 22nd on Mt. Lemmon, followed by a 4 mile trail run with friends. For that reason, we had our wedding reception a week later at our friend Gene and Jane's house, which is beautiful.

We had a lovely cake from Nadine's, which had our signature 'trail heart' on the top, made out of sugar 'rocks'.

Yum. We shared a monstrous corner piece.

The rock heart in Sabino Basin. That is the ring in the middle.

Our wedding reception was a joyous time, just like our wedding. Dallas always makes me laugh. Dallas picked out this beautiful dress for me.


He said more beautiful words to me before we cut the cake.


We had about 65 friends come. We are truly blessed.


A week after the reception (2 weeks from my last run), I decided to go forward with my plans to run the Meet Me Downtown 5k, which is part of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. I have been dealing with some painful issues since my trail 'splits' on Easter Sunday, April 23rd, so I decided to take a few weeks off to see how things felt.

As soon as I started the race, I was in pain. Dallas ran the race with me and we finished in 26:05 (8:24 mpm pace), which was 9th in my age group (not bad for running injured). In retrospect, I should have probably stopped running a mere 1/8 mile into the race. Oh well. It definitely set me back a bit.

So...I haven't run since then. One month of no running. I've basically run 7 whole miles in the last 7 weeks. I miss it.

I've seen a sports chiropractor, my primary care doc, and finally got in the other day to a sports medicine doc at TOI. I had x-rays done, an MRI and I am taking Celebrex.

Initially, it was thought that I had a tight psoas muscle and possibly, a femoral neck stress fracture. Then, a torn adductor and pelvic avulsion were suspected. My sports medicine doc thinks that I likely strained my right adductor/quad/hamstring and associated tendons when I did the splits over 2 months ago and I might have a hip labral tear.

What the MRI reported was not good, though, and I'm not sure yet if it is related to the trail accident. It reported Femoral acetabular impingement syndrome and Herniated synovial pits in my right hip. My sports medicine doc has not seen the results yet, but in the meantime, I will be doing physical therapy twice a week and taking Celebrex.

She said no running for at least 3 weeks. I can exercise, but nothing that causes me pain. So, I am easy cycling (about 45 minutes at a time - 9+ miles), doing Bikram (hot) yoga, and I have started 'learning' how to swim. Yes, I can swim to save my life if you threw me in a pool, but my friend Shari is teaching me how to swim for exercise/cardio. Thank you Shari!!! It feels good to get some exercise.

Between all of these suspected and diagnosed problems, I have learned a lot about human anatomy. Bottom line is my hip socket is messed up. Could mean surgery, could get better with PT and Celebrex. I've also been doing Eucommia Bark, Krill Oil, and eating a lot of anti-inflammatory foods. I am doing whatever I can to help my body heal.

What's next? If I don't improve in 3 weeks, then I have to get a contrast scan to see what is going on in there. Once the sports medicine doc gets the results back from the MRI on Tuesday, she may change the plan, I don't know.

I took the Grand Canyon R2R2R off the upcoming list as well as JJ100.  If I get back to running by the end of the summer (pipe dream?), it will be a while before I build up my base and I am able to do long distances. Dallas signed up for JJ100, so I'll crew him and maybe pace him if I'm running by then.  I am going to CO in mid-September to run trails with some girlfriends; I sure hope I can run by then, too.

Lot of acceptance going on.

Other good news; Dallas and I are the new co-administrators (directors) for TTR!! Gene and Ross are stepping down after 17 years, and we will be overseeing the Tucson Trail Run Series for the foreseeable future (with their sage advice). Very exciting and humbling at the same time. What an honor to head up TTR for its 34th year.

Me in the news:
I was featured in some various articles over the last few months, which is cool. First, an article right before OP 50:


Then, I was featured in Tailwinds magazine in May - Emily did a great job on this article. Look on page 30:


My friend Chase from TTR interviewed me for his new blog:


My blog will be pretty quiet for a while. Not sure what to expect about when I can run again, but when I have news, I will report it.  I am so thankful for all of the emails, FB comments and general love I have received related to my current injury/body problems. Mentally, they have all helped me tremendously.

I did finally invest in some bike shorts (and a bike skirt from Skirt Sports!) When I get the bike skirt, I'll post a pic. It is cute!! It is nice to have some cushioning when I ride.

Dallas and I went to my family reunion in Texas the 2nd weekend in June and he got to meet my humongous family. It was so good to see my family!!!  They all loved him, of course. He jumped in and helped the guys out with the annual catfish fry and really enjoyed himself.


No, I'm not from Texas, I'm from Lousiana - different relatives 'host' it each year. My cousin-in-law IMa (on the left) called us workout freaks.


Guess I'll end on that note. :)

1 comment:

HappyTrails said...

Dearest Renee,
WOW! So much going on for you - lots of good and some not so good. Your 'lots of acceptance going on' resonated with me in regard to not being able to run. I have been there so I totally feel what you are experiencing. I know missing the actual running is a big part, but another big part is missing out on the connection made with husband and friends while out on the trail-it feels like a bit of a loss when that aspect is gone, too. I got a good pep talk from a wise, local running coach I happened to run into a few months ago (I was feeling a little blue that day). He reminded me that I hope to run until I am an old woman and that 6 months, a year, two years, or whatever it takes to recover is really a short time when compared to the many years I hopefully have ahead of me. Anyway, warm thoughts and prayers are with you as you heal and find a good, long term solution to your pain. When you come out in Sept, we can shuffle along the trail together. Life happens and life is still good. You look stunning, as usual, BTW. Dallas did a good job on your wardrobe selection. I think Steve would have picked that dress, too! :-)