Saturday, February 21, 2009

Recovery is going well.

After taking a few days to rest after the race (holy cow I was sore!), I jumped the gun a little and did a weight workout on Tuesday. I was really craving some exercise. My quads were pretty wiped out from Pemberton, so I should have waited a few more days. I have a little tweaky feeling in a my left quad as a result.


On Wednesday, I ran for 4 miles, taking Dixie Dog out for a little run. She was all over the place and wasn't minding me well, so it was a little frustrating. My legs felt tired, but good! I'm definitely recovering quicker from races than I used to. How cool is that?
Me on the Rillito Wash with the Catalina Mountains in the background:
After my run, I did the quick change, braided my hair and headed over to Yoga Vida for a Bikram Yoga class (90 minutes). Bikram is a 26 pose yoga, done in a heated room (over 100 degrees, I think?) It is hot, but hey, I live in Tucson. I love it. It was just what I needed to really stretch out those post-race muscles. Only one pose bothered my wrist a little, but I think it just gave it a nice stretch.

I then ran 4.3 miles on Friday at lunch at a 9:15 pace, which is not super speedy, but I felt pretty peppy . Definitely have a tweaky left quad now. I ran 3 miles on Saturday morning, but tried to take it easy a little bit. Tomorrow, I'll do a shorter trail run, but keep the pace way down to give my body a break.
Parting thought (my favorite poem about life):
The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference...
Robert Frost

No comments: