Sunday, November 28, 2010

TTR AZ Trail 50k

This TTR event was an out and back on the Arizona trail southeast of Tucson - 15.5 miles each way, with an aid station at the 'out' point. A lot of the trails on this run are the ones we run during the Old Pueblo 50 miler. I got lost on this run 2 years ago. :(

It was Wayne's birthday and he briefed us on the course.

I've stopped blogging for a while because of this run. I just had a blogger's block. Reason: I Did Not Finish (DNF).

Why?
1. It was freezing at the start and mentally, I was not in the mood to run.
2. Even though Dallas was with me, we were quickly left in the dust by the group. We stopped to go to the bathroom and then later to strip off warmer clothes and lost everyone.
3. We missed a turn and added 3 miles onto our run.
4. My hamstring/glute pain became excruciating during this run. I had a difficult time power hiking the hills, which continued to add more time to our run.

5. At about mile 15, I fell bad. I had a big lump on my left knee which completely freaked Dallas out (a hematoma?)
No, it didn't look good at first.
I laid on the ground for a minute, unable to get up. Dallas tried to determine if I was badly hurt or not, and then he helped me up.
The decision was clear - we would stop running at the aid station. However, since we had gotten off track earlier, we had to go 3 more miles. I had a mini meltdown (I bawled) at some point, but managed to start running again a bit, mixed in with a lot of hiking.
6. Then, the wind picked up. It was cold. I was ready to be done.

Dallas agreed he would return with me. Gosh, I love this man. Thank you Dallas!!!
We saw all of our TTR friends on their return, which was great, but also made me realize how far behind everyone we were. I was really down on myself about my performance.

After 18 miles of slow hiking and even slower running (mostly hiking), we arrived at the aid station (4 hours and 17 minutes later!) Patricia was glad to see us. She drove us back to the start. Many of the runners had not returned yet from the 50k, so we went on home. Blah.

Others fell and got lost, too. One guy in our group got so lost that he did 40 miles instead of 31!!

Trail runs are a lot like life. Sometimes they can be tough. You can fall down, you can mentally and emotionally breakdown, and you can lose your way. I know that, just like life, trail running can also be awesome, so I'll keep doing it!!!

'This world ain't fair
It can knock you on your butt
You can just lie there or you can get back up
You gotta get back up...
There are times in life when you gotta crawl,
Lose your grip, trip and fall
When you can't lean on no one else,
That's when you find yourself...'
~ Lonestar

No comments: