Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ed Viesturs in Tucson!

He was here! Ed Viesturs came with Micah Dash (an amazing big wall climber) to Tucson for the Mountain Hard Wear Sharp End Tour. They showed slides of their recent adventures, including Ed's journey to summit the world's 14 highest peaks (greater than 8,000 meters) without supplemental oxygen. Awesome! He finished in 2005. Congratulations, Ed!
I got my picture taken with Ed and got him to sign my copy of his book "No Shortcuts to the Top". If you haven't read it, it is an excellent book. He just looks like a regular guy, doesn't he?

His motto is "Getting to the top is optional; getting down is mandatory". He is a safe climber and a nice guy who will stop to help someone on the mountain at the expense of reaching his own summit goal. Ed was up on Everest during the Spring of 1996, when the horrible storm hit. This storm killed accomplished mountaineers, including Rob Hall and Scott Fischer, and severely injured others, including Beck Weathers and Makalu Gau. 8 people died. Ed and the rest of David Brashears Everest IMAX movie crew were instrumental in the rescue attempt. If you haven't read about this disaster, read "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakaer. One of the best books I have ever read.

What does this have to do with running? Well, I love reading all sorts of survival, mountaineering and adventure books, because I want to see what people have in them that helps them do the things they do. I want to know where they find the strength to perservere in the face of disaster and despair. If I adopt some of those attitudes and actions, my running (and my life!) can go to a new level!

Also, Ed trains for his mountain climbing by running 4 days on, 1 day off, 7-8 miles a day of hilly terrain.
Running is the best sport and builds excellent cardiovascular ability. Just ask Ed!

Thank you Ed for coming to Tucson!

1 comment:

onepinkfuzzy said...

oh WOW! that's awesome!