Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Recovering slowly...

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and prayers. All of your emails have been wonderful. I feel very loved and believe that I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life. Since I'm right handed, which is the side I broke, I have to type with my left hand, which is tiring and difficult. I figured this was the easiest way to update everyone.

I was finally able to get a shower and wash my hair today for the first time since I broke my wrist - mostly with Kenny's help. I'm still on pain medication, but I have taken less today than yesterday. This is my 1st broken bone, and it is extremely painful. I have been pretty sick from the anesthesia and painkillers (they gave me morphine in the hospital, and now I'm taking Ultram), so I haven't been eating much - crackers, mostly. I do a tremendous amount of sleeping.

I don't have a full cast, but a splint and Ace bandage instead. I didn't break the skin when I broke my wrist, but the orthopaedic surgeon had to make an incision to reattach the broken bone with a plate and 9 screws. So, I'll have to get the stitches out in 2 weeks. If it doesn't heal up well in 6 weeks, then the doc will cast it for a little longer. I wasn't thrilled about spending the night in the hospital (1st night ever), but the NW Medical Center in Oro Valley was like a hotel, with a beautiful view of the Catalina Mountains, so it wasn't too bad. Good food, too.

At first, I understood that there would be no exercise for two weeks, and then I thought I could go back to running (although I knew trail running would be out until I was fully healed to minimize the risk of falling). However, I sure was disappointed to learn that any running could jeopardize my healing (my balance could still be thrown off and to risk any falling, even on a road, would not be good). To keep up my fitness level, I can walk, do weight machine exercises with my legs, and I can ride a stationary bike.

I have come to accept this as I know a lot of people right now suffering with injuries and such, and I feel pretty lucky that it isn't any worse.

I'll use this time to spend with my husband and maybe just go to some races to support other runners (even though I won't be pacing Troy at JJ100, I think I'll still be there to cheer him on).

And yes, when I can return to running, I will also return to trail running. Some people might think that is crazy, but it is my passion. I also think that the accident was just a fluke - a freak accident. Actually, I learned that wrist fractures are the most common fracture.

Well, that's all for now. When I'm able to do a little more, I'll post pictures of the Gap run (typing is one thing, cropping and dragging and dropping pictures is hard with a non-dominant hand). It was fun. It is always fun and games until someone pokes an eye out! (or breaks a bone!)


Sarah said...

I agree, best to follow doctor's orders and concentrate on healing. You have a great attitude!

You know, on my first "real" wilderness trail run I took a nasty fall, cut my brow and earned a trip to urgent care for 9 stitches. (Fortunately it was near the end of the run and family and helpful hikers were near). Funny how it didn't sour me on trail running at all. In a way it fired me up even more. So I know how you feel about wanting to get back out to the trails. Best wishes!

Joyce said...

Thanks for the update - you're looking good!

RunningTroysLife said...

Yeah JJ pacing is out but don't count out Tucson, With a stationary bike and high cadence workouts you can come close to simulate what your body gets out of running.

Injury makes me so antsy, sometimes it is best to just rest and heal up and come back stronger.

Marathoner in Training said...

You will be back to normal (what ever that is) in no time. Glad you are doing better. Take it easy and enjoy your time with your husband.