Friday, October 21, 2011

TTR Baby Jesus Run

Last week, I joined TTR for a new run created by Doug. It starts at the end of Golder Ranch Road.

Doug gave us a litany of directions before the run, but I think most of us were so confused that we were hoping that his chalk markings and cairns would help us find our way. He did give us a map. I lost the map halfway through the run. Whoops.


I brought Taos dog with me, fresh back from Colorado.




My goal was to hike the short route, about 10 miles, and run a little here and there. A lot of people did the longer route, about 17 miles.

Baby Jesus trail was beautiful. Doug had all questionable spots marked with chalk and there were many cairns as well.



Taos was getting thirsty - luckily, at mile 5, we ran into a full stock tank, and she drank and drank and drank. I was wearing my Geigerrig hydration bladder, which can be pressurized. All you have to do is squeeze on the end of the tube and the water comes spraying out, right into a dog's mouth! I kept giving her water, but she really enjoyed getting a big gulp at the tank. 

I had been running a little here and there, which felt marvelous on this single track trail!


After Baby Jesus trail, we got onto Sutherland road - a rocky, Jeep road. I ran quite a bit of it, finding it easier to run slowly than walk on this terrain.


We finally ran into the rest of the group on the 50 year trail. By this time, Taos was getting really hot. I kept giving her water, but she finally started stopping at any shady spot she could.

After I couldn't get her up, and she wasn't taking any water from my tube, I was getting worried. Along came Dallas, and he had plenty of water (of course he did, he likes to get properly dehydrated on his runs, ha ha).


He opened his Camelbak to let Taos drink out of it. :)


This was just enough to get us back to the finish. I ran quite a bit of the last mile with Dallas, which was wonderful!

The Dynamic Duo!

A lot of people got off course at the end, but we didn't, thankfully! It was fairly overgrown in spots, but I didn't get too scratched up. Dallas, on the other hand, had a catfight with some thorny bushes.


Doug had homemade chocolate raspberry ice cream and lemon sorbet ready for us. I think I had about 8 small scoops. Awesome!


Taos was just thankful for the shade.


This was another test for my injury - I estimate  that I ran about 4 of the 10.5 miles and felt pretty good. This was a great run!
Registration for Old Pueblo 50 mile opened up today. I didn't want to miss the opportunity to register before it sold out, so I am officially in. I will have 4.5 months to train, so I don't think that is pushing it too much. I am already up to 18 miles hiking and with all of the bike riding, I think I'll be strong when I start extending my runs.

Dallas and I will be doing 17 miles in the Grand Canyon this week. We are going down to the river on Kaibab trail and back on Bright Angel trail. I'm excited! I've never gone into the canyon. I'm glad I get to share it with my best friend.

1 comment:

HappyTrails said...

So you have Taos Dog permanently??? She looks like she will be a good running/hiking companion for you guys. Glad you enjoyed your 4+ running miles - woo-hoo! Dallas' thorny bush cat fight looks painful - yikes! Have fun at the Grand Canyon-we will be excited to read all about it - and of course, you WILL take lots of pics, right??? :-)