Friday, September 21, 2007

Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Colorado

Kenny and I left for the day to head up to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, which is just a couple of hours north of Silverton, Colorado. The river running through it is a beautiful emerald green and is described as 'Class V to unnavigable'. I think we'll skip kayaking that! We did a little hiking on some of the trails there - probably about 4 miles. The wall of rock behind me in the picture looks like it is right behind me, but it is actually in the middle of the canyon, which is quite vast. Then, a little further back, is another wall of rock. We then drove up through the small town of Hotchkiss and then back down to Silverton. The area around Hotchkiss had amazing color - the hillsides were brilliant displays of orange, yellow and burgandy. The changing of the seasons reminds me that NOTHING stays the same. No matter how difficult things get in life, there always seems to be an end to the suffering at some point and then a new beginning - one with fresh hope. Fall reminds me that we all need to take a break, regroup and rethink our life, so come spring, we can be ready to grow again.

No comments: