Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A mountain hike and run - Silverton, Colorado

I arrived in colorful Silverton, Colorado (at elevation 9,318 ft.) on Sunday after a 10 hour drive from Tucson. After a day of rest on Monday to get used to the altitude, Kenny, Dixie and I went on a hike up Stony Gulch, heading up to the Old 100 boarding house. It was a pretty steep hike, so we didn't make it to the top, but we still got in about 1:45. I felt like we were on top of the world! I could see for miles and miles. There was quite a bit of fog that day in the valley - we are at about 11,000 feet (guess) in the picture. The landscape views from up high almost look fake! Dixie was very happy to see me and really enjoyed the hike. It is great to finally be with Kenny - we don't get to see each other much over the summer. He is going to get us in some good hikes this week to get me ready for the Bisbee Stair Climb race in October.

Later that afternoon, Dixie and I went on a 3.5 mile run around Cunningham Gulch, which is beautiful! We are staying in a cabin up there, which is near the Old 100 Gold Mine. The leaves are changing and are a sign that fall has arrived. All the pine trees, mountains and streams make it just an amazing place to run. I was pretty winded from that run - the elevation near the cabin is even higher than Silverton, and my lungs were trying to adjust! It always takes a few days to get a little acclimated. I like a little bit of a longer run, but I was trying to take it easy until I was fully acclimated. It was a little cool, but Dixie didn't notice - she was playing in the creek. She loves the water, no matter how cold it is!
I feel very connected spiritually up here. It is just too beautiful for words. Thank you God for the changing leaves, the majestic mountains, the deer and the marmots, and for bringing people (and dogs) into my life that love and cherish me!

No comments: