Monday, August 25, 2008

Silverton Hike and Trail Run


Today, Kenny, Cracker, Dixie and I hiked a short trail up onto 'S' Mountain (there is an 'S' painted on it for Silverton), which overlooks the Silverton valley. The trail was steep, but the views of Silverton were perfect. Cracker is a little mountain goat and just goes wherever Dixie Dog goes. Kenny is growing his usual summer beard, which could use a trimming! I call him my little mountain man.

I woke up feeling tired, even though I did get lots of sleep. The elevation just makes me pretty drowsy and I generally feel wiped out. Even though I'm in bed for 8-9 hours, it is a very fitful sleep (pretty common with altitude adjustment). Didn't stop me much, though, because after we got done with the hike, Kenny dropped me and Dixie Dog off at the Animas River and then went to work. I ran about 4.5 miles along the Animas River into town. One of my fave runs in Silverton. It is so fun to run along a rushing river and just hear the sounds of nature. It is absolutely gorgeous and reminds me of why I would love to live in Silverton over the summer.
After my run, I went shopping in downtown Silverton and bought a few necklaces, a pair of outdoor pants, a pink camouflage scarf, and a pink camouflage ball cap (look for those in future trail run pictures!). Even though Silverton is a small town, there is plenty to buy. That's it, though; no more shopping for the rest of the week. Seriously! Really, I mean it.

We later drove across the mountain pass and into the town of Durango and did a few errands (including buying some Colorado peaches!) and ate dinner.

You can do a lot in a day when you don't work! I really needed this break. My mind feels clear and calm. Life is really simple here. No work - just eat, sleep and play.

1 comment:

HappyTrails said...

Ahhh, shopping is good!!! It looks beautiful there - enjoy your time together and recharge your batteries! :-)
Kathleen