Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Gauntlet Trail

Webster's Dictionary - 'Run the Gauntlet' - to face an ordeal in which gunfire, blows, criticism, etc. come from all sides at once.

Okay, I guess I'm not sure why they call this trail the 'Gauntlet', but it was pretty rocky, with some steep up and downhills. It is located behind Pima Community College West here in Tucson. I ran about 6 miles on it today. It is a series of overlapping loops - you really can't get lost because you are actually 'in town' but you can end up running shorter or longer than planned if you take the wrong turns. Great run!


It is surrounded by views of the Catalina Mountains to the North, the Rincons to the East, the Tucson Mountains to the West, and a view of Tumamoc Hill to the South. Lovely!

At the end, I was treated to a lovely sunset over the Tucson Mountains. The Winter Trail Series race #2 will be in the Tucson Mountains this Saturday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks awesome! (so does the sunset) I've heard about that area, but haven't run there yet.

Sarah said...

That scenery is incredible! You have so many great trails. Enjoy!

Marnee said...

Hi! Can you give directions on how to get to the trail head and where to park? Thanks.

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

Marnee,
It is located behind Pima Community College West (you can enter from Anklam or Greasewood). Look for the running track behind the college and park near it. The 'trail' starts right before you get to the track on your left (it follows it around on the west side before heading out). You can actually enter the trail from the corner of Speedway and Greasewood as well, and from another spot on Greasewood. I have a map, so maybe I could scan it in and send it to you somehow.

Marnee said...

Thanks, a lot. If I have trouble finding it I suppose I can bring myself to check a map. Hah. Do you have a trails map? I think I have one lying around somewhere....