Sunday, March 9, 2008

Catalina State Park hike

Ken and I wanted to take Dixie on a little hike today, so we thought we would try the Linda Vista trail (2.25 miles round trip, with 1,435 feet elevation gain!). However, dogs weren't allowed and we didn't realize it until we arrived at the trailhead. So, we developed an alternate plan and headed over to Catalina State Park since it was so close. We were a little disappointed, but I'll give that trail a try in the next few weeks (I've never done it before). I am really going to be throwing some steep, but short hikes in my training regime to prepare for the Zane Grey race.
We hiked the Canyon Loop trail and Nature trail, for a total of 3.3 miles. It was just perfect, since my legs were a little sore from yesterday's 4 hour run (otherwise, I feel great today - no lasting tiredness from it.)
There was some water running out there, but not much, and we were able to rock hop over most of the streams. Dixie loves the water and was very happy.
These are two of the trails that I'll be running on at the Catalina State Park race on April 12th. I'll also be running a training run on that same course on March 22nd.
I ended up with just a little over 40 miles this week - not bad for taking 10 days off of running prior to that.
____________________________
“Every person has the power to make others happy.
Some do it simply by entering a room; others by leaving the room.
Some individuals leave trails of gloom; others, trails of joy.
Some leave trails of hate and bitterness; others, trails of love and harmony.
Some leave trails of cynicism and pessimism; others trails of faith and optimism.
Some leave trails of criticism and resignation; others trails of gratitude and hope.
What kind of trails do you leave?
~ William Arthur Ward

No comments: